Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Greetings and SOTD: Judy Bats - She Lives (In a Time of her own)

I am here to formally announce my initiation into club Koala! J-Koala and I have a strong bond over an (un)eclectic cloister of new wave/post punk/and Brit-pop that never, ever gets old. EVER. In addition to musical preferences, we are fated by an alarming number of similarities. We were both given the same birth name. We were both born on the 18th day of our respective birth-months in nineteen hundredth and eighty-sixth year of our Lord. In addition, we are both plagued by digestive maladies and are know to partake in petty vandalism involving sharpie markers. An undeniable comradeship, as you can see.

 The idea for me to come into the Koala family was formed over a few drinks at an adorable bar that hands out free, fresh from the oven chocolate chip cookies to its patrons. I mentioned that I had dug up the Judy Bats album "Native Son" on C.D. from a used record store for a sweet $2.99. Since I've spent the better part of the summer being enamored by this album I was delighted to know J-Koala already had amassed encyclopedic knowledge about this great band! She has a tendency to be a walking, talking Wikipedia at times so I shouldn't have been surprised.

 Anyway, here is a stellar track from a great group out of Nashville in 1991:

 The Judy Bats - She Lives (In a time of her own)

 

I don't claim to be any sort of reputable source of musical knowledge. I haven't touched a musical instrument since I quit piano lessons in the 5th grade, and I can't sing for shit. I simply have my own specific taste. I find this album to be thoroughly amazing . It lulls me into a dreamy and comforting nostalgia with bits of brilliance tucked away in a lush melody.  To think it was wasting away in some dusty clearance bin in a record store in unfashionable St.Louis! I've also come up with a fun idea. I want to try to attempt to do a weekly or biweekly bargain c.d. challenge. Since I love collecting used C.D.s and am working with an extremely limited budget, I will attempt to visit record & thrift stores and unearth some cheap gems. I shall share my spoils here as soon as I figure out how to efficiently rip and upload albums. Fell free to laugh at my temporary incompetence. 

I'll see you around!





1 comment:

  1. Hi J Koala, love the track and blog! Glad your here to help Yummi out!

    ReplyDelete