Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Martin Gore - "Counterfeit" (1989)


One of my favorite bands of all time is Depeche Mode. I have always been a HUGE fan of Martin Gore's lyrics, music, and vocal talents (especially the way his and Dave Gahan's voices flow together). A few years back I saw he came out with a solo album and my introduction to that album was his cover of Joe Crow's Compulsion, which I've heard on Pillows & Prayers compilation. It's such a powerful song but it seems so unknown, it was surprising to hear a cover of it! Martin does a beautiful job covering numerous songs, hence the album title. This EP came out in 1989 and has major Depeche Mode "Violator" influence.
More dark titles to come this month, since it is the month of Halloween. ;)



Track Listing: 
1. Compulsion (Joe Crow cover)
2. In a Manner of Speaking (Tuxedomoon )
3. Smile in the Crowd (The Durutti Column )

4. Gone
5. Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth (Sparks)

6. Motherless Child

1 comment: